Friday, August 20, 2010

A Woof Update

T-minus 18 days and counting!!! We go to Billings in 18 days for Jordon to do his service animal training and we get to bring Ezme home for good. My coworker said it was like we were gearing up to adopt a baby, and in a way, she is right. This dog will be part of our family. She will literally go with Jordon everywhere: school, grocery shopping, church, everywhere (but the temple).

We had hit a snag on the fund-raising portion. We had come up with half of the amount needed, and then a donor came forward and wanted to donate the rest. The only problem was that we needed a 501c3 (non-profit). The donor's foundation is set up to only donate to 501c3s.Our desire was to eventually set up a foundation or fund to help others in need (because we have been so incredibly blessed by the kindness and generosity of others). The Community Foundation of Utah is going to help us set up a scholarship for others who need financial assistance in getting a service animal. We are still trying to get the paperwork squared away, but if it all works out right, Jordon will be the first recipient, and other people will be able to apply for the scholarship. The exciting thing about this option is that it will keep on giving to other people, and our friends, family, anybody can donate to the fund. As soon as we have all the details, I will post, so until then, pray that it all works out.

You know, as I have been thinking about the start of all of this, I can't help but thank Heavenly Father for his help in bringing this about. In February, we randomly had a student come to our door and ask if we would like to try a subscription of the newspaper. We usually say no, but for some reason, I said sure. Then near the end of our subscription trial, I saw a picture of boy and a dog on the front page of the paper. I thought "cute picture" and I decided to read the paper. Now mind you, I hadn't read the paper at all since I we started getting it. I usually took out the coupon mailer and then put the paper in a pile for my sister to use (she teaches 5th grade). Anyway, so I started reading about this boy and his seizure dog.

I guess I should give you a little more background. I started searching for a seizure dog when Jordon was first diagnosed, but couldn't find any trainers or information, so I guess I kind of gave up. It never left the back of my mind though, especially when Jordon's seizure activity increased, but no feasible options presented itself.

So back to the story. I ready through the article and the thought popped into my mind "E-mail the author of the article, he might be able to tell give you information on where the boy go the seizure dog". So I did just that. I did some digging and found the contact information for the author of the article. He writes for a newspaper in Idaho Falls and his story was reprinted in the Deseret News, (in the front page, just to remind you). The author had no idea that his story had been reprinted, let alone on the front page. He said that doesn't happen every day. He was able to get me the information for Deb Bouwkamp (the trainer).

I e-mailed Deb in May, and and Jordon will have his dog the beginning of September. I never thought it would happen that fast. It was also miraculous how Ezme came into the picutre. Ezme's first owner randomly had to move away and couldn't take the dog with her, so she gave Ezme to her friend (who has seizures). The girl already had 8 dogs and decided she couldn't keep Ezme, so she contacted Deb. We prayed for the right dog, and Ezme is perfect!!!!

Well I have blabbed on enough and Jordon is almost done with chemo, so I need to sign off. We love you all!!! Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

*Aliese* said...

Wendi, this is SO WONDERFUL! I can hardly wait to read about your new experiences with this blessing-of-a-puppy. :)