Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Port, a Port, Jordon is getting a Port

Jordon has been scheduled to get a port on Wednesday. The port will allow Jordon to receive his Carmustine treatments without the burning. Wikipedia offers a better explanation:

A port consists of a reservoir compartment (the portal) that has a silicone bubble for needle insertion (the septum), with an attached plastic tube (the catheter). The device is surgically inserted under the skin in the upper chest or in the arm and appears as a bump under the skin. It requires no special maintenance and is completely internal so swimming and bathing are not a problem. The catheter runs from the portal and is surgically inserted into a vein (usually the jugular vein, subclavian vein, or superior vena cava.)

The septum is made of a special self-sealing silicone rubber; it can be punctured up to one thousand times before it needs to be replaced. To administer treatment or to withdraw blood, a health professional will first locate the portal and disinfect the area. Then he or she will access the port by puncturing the overlying skin with a 90° Huber point needle although a Butterfly needle may also be used. (Due to its design, there is a very low infection risk, as the breach of skin integrity is never larger than the caliber of the needle. This gives it an advantage over indwelling lines such as the Hickman line.) Negative pressure is created to withdraw blood into the vacuumized needle, to check for blood return and see if the port is functioning normally. Next, the port will be flushed with a saline solution. Then, treatment will begin. Also, after each use, a heparin lock is made by injecting a small amount of heparin (an anticoagulant) into the catheter. This prevents development of clots in the system. The port can be left accessed for as long as required. The port is covered in a dressing to protect the site from infection and to secure the needle in position.


The surgery itself is considered minor, and is typically performed under both local anaesthesia and conscious sedation. Patients sometimes have a little discomfort with breathing after the procedure, and can be managed with over the counter anti-inflammatories & tylenol.
A port is most commonly inserted as a day surgery procedure in a hospital or clinic by a surgeon or an interventional radiologist, under a local anaesthetic. When no longer needed, the port can be removed more simply in a clinic or doctor's office.

See, no worries. It is a safe procedure that will greatly benefit Jordon in his treatments. We will let you know how it goes.

7 comments:

*Aliese* said...

I'm so glad you explained this; I was completely unaware of what a port was until you posted about it earlier. I'm glad to hear it should make things more comfortable for Jordon.

ryannsharidamontague said...

i'm glad that the doctors are making it better and more comfortable for jordon! I LOVE YOU GUYS!

Morgan Family said...

Please let me know if you need anything at all. Will he be in and out in one day?

Kim said...

I am glad modern medicine can also take away the 'burn". Hope it proves to be another big blessing.We love you guys!

3 Docs and A Diva said...

I am glad it won't be a painful aftr Jordon gets his port. Good luck with the surgery and you are in our prayers!
Wendi, thanks for the explanation as I have other friends going through or just ahd their ports inserted.
I love you both!

3 Docs and A Diva said...

I am glad it won't be a painful aftr Jordon gets his port. Good luck with the surgery and you are in our prayers!
Thanks for the explanation as other close friends have recently or are having to go though this procedure.
I love you both!

Noelle said...

Good luck. You both are very strong. We love you.