Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy 4th of July Weekend!!!

Well hello again to all our friends and family. This weekend has been quite an adventure in a way. As most of you know, Jordon finished his round of chemo on Wednesday, so Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday Jordon was very very ill. We talked with the pharmacist and found out that is how it is for most of the Temodar chemo patients, so Jordon is *normal* (yeah!!! i think :o)).

Thursday night, even though Jordon wasn't feeling well, we went to my parent's house and did our 4th of July celebration with my family. It was great seeing everyone. We even got to visit with some relatives that I hadn't seen for a few years. By the time we left, Jordon had perked up, and was feeling a little better.

Friday morning Jordon and I were supposed to go horseback riding with one of my coworkers. We got to the barn, and had just finished saddling the horses when Jordon went ghostly white and then started vomiting. He was so tired and ill, we ended up not riding. It was sad because he was so excited to finally ride again. Even though Jordon didn't get to ride, he did get an open invitation to go riding anytime he felt like it. (Thanks Gina, you are a doll).

Anyway. By Friday afternoon, Jordon was getting pretty dehydrated. He hadn't kept anything down since Wednesday afternoon. We spoke with Jordon's oncologist, and he was contemplating hospitalizing Jordon and getting IV's in him, but he wanted to give Jordon one more day to see if he got any better. Friday night Jordon received a priesthood blessing, and he has been doing much better since. We are very blessed and fortunate to have the priesthood in our lives.

We are very blessed and fortunate. Jordon and I have had many conversations about this topic. Even though we have had so many trials these past few months, the Lord has been merciful. I think there is a scripture somewhere that talks about how the Lord gives us compensatory blessings when something has been taken away, whether it be a loved one, a skill, or what not. I wish I knew the exact reference because it is a wonderful scripture. We are also truly blessed to live in this country. The story of this great nation is miraculous and indeed spiritual. The Lord's hand most definitely guided our courageous founding fathers, and for that we are grateful.

We are also grateful for those special insights, the ah-hah moments that hit us. Tonight Jordon and I were talking about his cancer, and how many people have told us "I just don't know how you can handle this. I never would be able to handle it". In our conversation, Jordon and I came to two conclusions. The first: We can't change the situation, so lets deal with it the best we can and bring joy to others. And the second, we decided that we are very blessed to be trusted with this trial. The Lord wouldn't try us beyond what we could handle. The Lord trusts us to to be able to handle this trial and to handle it well, otherwise, I don't think he would have blessed us with it. Going along with this, Boyd K. Packer once said: "[Today's children] will see many events transpire in the course of their lifetime. Some of these shall tax their courage and extend their faith. But if they seek prayerfully for help and guidance, they shall be given power over adverse things. Such trials shall not be permitted to stand in the way of their progress, but instead shall act as stepping-stones to greater knowledge." What wonderful comfort. This blessed trial is helping us prepare to get back to our Heavenly Father, and for that we are truly grateful. Again, thank you to all for your love and prayers!!!! May the Lord bless each of you!!!!

6 comments:

Linda Mott said...

You are such examples of positive thinking and we love you. You are heroes to all those around you because of your spiritual examples. Our fast today is dedicated to Jordon and our prayers are always with you. We love you.

Candace and Brian said...

Wendi you are such a treat to listen to. You seriously teach me so much. You were so right when you said the Lord must trust you with this trial. I loved the comforting words and quotes. I am so sorry Jordon didn't get to ride the horse but grateful you guys listened to his body and allowed him to rest. I can't imagine what he must be going through. You are in our thoughts and prayers always but especially today. Love ya!

masonmadness said...

I know I tell you this all the time, but you really amaze me! I just can't believe the faith and the attitude the two of you have. It makes me realize how far I have to come. You have been in our prayers all day today. We love you both so much! Please let us know when you find something out! And thanks for being the examples you are. I look up to you guys so much!!!

3 Docs and A Diva said...

Thanks once more for an inspiring message that truly blesses each of us as we read your beautiful words of wisdom and courage. Our fast also was dedicated for both of you and we are praying for really good results for Jordon's scan. Do you which day it will be yet? Love you both!

Morgan Family said...

You both are so amazing and you are so positive. It was so fun to see you both on Saturday. You both are in our thoughts and prayers. We love you! Please keep us updated on when the scan will be.

ryannsharidamontague said...

As everyone has said, you are truly amazing! It was really fun to see you both this weekend! Please let us know when you get the scan results! We love both of you dearly, and you are in our thoughts and prayers!