Sunday, January 13, 2008

How Great Thou Art



Tonight as I was on my way home from the hospital, I was again pondering the tender mercies of the Lord. I know it may seem I constantly write about this, but I was again truly humbled and amazed by the goodness of the Lord. So much has happened this week, I felt like it has helped me, if only briefly, glimpse just how vast eternity is, and just how short our time on earth is.


Life is to short to waste moments on regrets, grudges, and judgments. Mistakes are made, lessons are learned, and lives are molded. We do not know what the future holds. I have learned that life can change overnight. We should not waste our precious time worrying about what others think and judging them. We should spend our time building others up, loving them, allowing them to learn and to grow even if it means making mistakes. That is how we follow the commandment to become perfect. None of us were born perfect. We are all human. We all have flaws and imperfections, whether physical, emotional, or spiritual. But if we can look at others, and have a desire to see them as our Heavenly Fahter sees them, to see not what they are but what they can become, the world would be a much better place. Our lives and relationships would be fuller and more enjoyable. I know I am humbly grateful and awed that the Lord looks past my many mortal imperfections, and sees my potential, my full potential. This knowledge alone gives me a stronger desire to do better, and be better. And not only that, it gives me a desire to help others.

Before I go onto to write about Jordon's day, I would like to first offer a challenge. Pray for the Lord's help in seeing the potential in others. If you have a grudge or are upset with someone, or you have someone that frustrates you, pray to know how to make peace with that person. Pray for the strength to forgive and to love. Pray for understanding. I believe understanding, true understanding, is a precious gift that allows us to see the potential in others. We may not fully know what is going on in a person's life or why they are the way they are, but the Lord does. Trust in his knowledge and understanding.

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to stand on a soap box, and share some of the lessons I learned. I am again grateful to all for the unconditional love and support that has been shown.

Yesterday was a very emotional day for both Jordon and I. We had many ups and downs, and I was concerned not only about the pain Jordon kept experiencing in his side, but also about how he was emotionally. My dad and brother-in-law came to the hospital and gave Jordon a priesthood blessing. After the blessing, he seemed more at peace, and his side stopped bothering him, and he fell asleep.

When I got to the hospital this morning, Jordon had a huge smile on his face, and he told me had had a better night's sleep than he had in a long time. The pain in his side did not come back during the night. In fact, his side did not hurt him at all today, which is a big relief because some of the doctors really thought Jordon might have appendicitis.

After a nice long hot shower, Jordon got dressed and had a short session of physical therapy. Jordon amazed yet another weekend therapist. She worked with him last Sunday, and really struggled to get Jordon to walk. Today she laughed as she had him on a jiggly balancing platform. She kept trying to come of with harder tasks for Jordon to complete, but he was able to do almost every single one. The only thing he had trouble with was skipping. He said he did not remember how to skip. :o) The therapist also had Jordon get down on all fours and raise an arm and the opposite leg. I told Jordon he looked a little like dog and he started barking. I think Jordon is really getting his personality back.



Jordon also got to tackle some more stairs today. He went up a few flights of stairs and only had a hard time when he tried to take two or three stairs at a time.


After therapy Jordon and I both took a much needed nap, and then Jordon decided to harasst he nurses a little bit. He finds great pleasure in teasing them and trying to get them to laugh. Shortly after his teasing session with the nurses, Jordon's sisters stopped in for a visit. It was fun to see Jordon pushing our nephew Hunter in the wheelchair. Hunter enjoyed the ride, and Jordon enjoyed the fact that he wasn't sitting in the chair.

After his sisters left, Jordon and I read the blog comments. He very much appreciates the love and support that so many express. It is very humling to know how much we are loved! Jordon and I laughed at the pictures. Well, I guess Jordon actually scowled more than laughed. He doesn't like seeing himself look sick. I don't blame him.

Even though Jordon stuggles to get the right words out, we have had some wonderful conversations this week. We have been very blessed. Jordon and I were talking about how much has happened in the past few weeks. Jordon doesn't really remember anything prior to last Sunday. That in itself is a blessing.

We pondered all that has happened this week alone. At the beginning of this week, we celebrated the birth of our nephew Jaxon Russell Park. Jordon made miraculous progress throughout the week. Jordon also had a chance to talk with Grandpa Lent on the phone. It was special and almost a sacred privlege to witness as two gentle and kind men, both close to the veil in their own ways, struggle to communicate, but they were both able to express how much they loved each other. Then we mourned the Loss of Grandpa Lent. Despite the ups and downs of all of it, we know that the Lord is watching over all. He understands all, and loves us enough to allow us to experience these trials.

3 comments:

Linda Mott said...

Thank you Wendi for your kind words of encouragement. You are so right. We all need to work to make the world a better place. Give Jordon our love today. Hope the side pain stays gone! Love, Linda

Briana said...

Wendi you are so good at wording things. It was beautiful put and I will agree. I am so glad things are going well for the both of you and things are starting to look up. You continue to be in our prayers and thoughts. We love you.

Candace and Brian said...

Wow! YOu always bring tears to my ears and the words you speak are truly so inspiring. I think more than anything I am so grateful that my cousin was guided your way. You are a light for all of us. I am so grateful that the blessing brought comfort to Jordan. I hope that this week continues to climb up the ladder and that his recovery continues to go smoothly. We love ya!