Monday, July 28, 2008

What a Weekend! (I HATE HOSPITALS)

I have officially decided that life never really calms down. There are no quiet weekends, at least not in our lives. Little 'adventures' always creep up somehow. Thursday I received a valid check in the mail from a company in New Jersey. Though the check was a valid cashable check the letter accompanying it automatically sent red flags. It stated that I won some sweepstakes and that the check was the beginning of my 'payments'. After doing a little research, I found out the company is a real company, even registered with Better Business Bureau. However, upon contacting the company, I was told that there were some scammers from Canada who were using two valid American companies and writing checks in their names. I had to contact the local FBI division regarding this check fraud. CRAZY!
Anyway, Saturday Jordon, his mom, and I went to the temple, and when we got out, we have numerous missed calls and messages from Jordon's sister. She went into labor early (her due date was the end of August). Sunday morning, little Jacob Warren Montague was born weighing 5 pounds 1.6 ounces and 17 1/2 inches long. (He is beautiful!) His lungs weren't all the way developed so he is in the NICU in Provo until he is more developed and can come home.
This weekend was also the beginning of Jordon's new chemotherapy round of pills. He started taking the pills Thursday, and typically patients don't get nauseated with it until the last day when they take the combo of mercaptopurine and lomustine. Jordon is not typical though. By Sunday night he was feeling a little queasy but hanging in there.

Sunday morning Jordon started vomiting and had a hard time keeping anything down, including his anti-seizure medications. By Sunday afternoon he was doing a little better, so we went down and visited Ryan, Sharida, and little Jacob. But after leaving the hospital, Jordon started feeling queasy again. He started throwing up and could not keep anything down. We called our home teachers, and they came and gave him a blessing, and Jordon felt a little better after that, but he still wasn't able to keep his pills down.

With Jordon feeling so icky, I had a prompting to stay home from work today, and I am so grateful I headed that prompting. After getting up, Jordon was still very very sick so he took an anti-nausea to see if it would stay down and then he was going to shower (showers usually help him feel better). The next thing I know, he was calling for me and I found him having a petitmal seizure. It progressively got worse and turned into a grand mal seizure. SCARY. I ran for the phone and back to Jordon, then dialed 911 while still trying to hold Jordon up so he didn't hit anything while he was seizing.

The paramedics got here shortly after that and by that time Jordon's was coming out of his seizure and he started responding a little more and talking a little bit. They transported him to Jordan Valley Hospital, where he was given an IV to help rehydrate him. They also gave him a lot of anti-nausea medication to control his queasiness. After that kicked in, he they gave him anti-seizure pills.

Then they took Jordon to have a CAT scan to make sure the blood vessels around the tumor weren't leaking. It came back clear, but his seizure medication levels were extremely low. His white blood count and blood platelet counts were also low, but not alarmingly low. They continued to monitor Jordon and decided to release him. They had taken Jordon off is IV and heart and oxygen monitors and he was sitting up getting ready to get into the wheelchair when he started having another seizure. It started small, and then it progressively got worse. They immediately hooked him back up to an IV and gave him another dose of anti-seizure medication. He rested for another hour or so, while they monitored him and continued to administer the IV.

The second time they discharged Jordon, it happened without incident. Now Jordon is resting and taking it easy. He has to be closely watched the next 24 hours until his seizure medication levels come up. We will meet with the neuro oncologist later on in the week to discuss what will happen now. we will keep you posted!

PS: Even though life is full of unexpected twists, Jordon and I are very blessed. We found out that Jordon was approved for Social Security disability. We are still waiting to know about SSI, but we are so grateful it disability came through. Thank heavens for blessings!!!!

9 comments:

Becky said...

Congratuations on the new nephew...babies are always little miracles! I hope Jordon is doing a lot better. What a scary few days.

Anonymous said...

SSI should help out so much! Wendi, you are such a strong person... how scary to see someone you love go through so much. I love you girl.

*Aliese* said...

Oh my!!! I'm quite convinced there is NEVER a dull moment at your house...

Linda Mott said...

Thank goodness you were home with him! That is so scary. I'm so happy the SSDI came through. Will they approve both?

Candace and Brian said...

Wendi, what a LONG weekend for you. It seems when it rains it pours and the Mott family definitely had a scary few days. I'm glad Jordon is home now. Hopefully he can keep his medication down and get through this. We can't wait to see little Jacob-so scary it was so early though. As always you're in our prayers.

masonmadness said...

I'm sorry things are going so rough again. You guys are such great people and I'm so thankful for your strength. You never cease to amaze me. We love you guys!

Morgan Family said...

I should say what a weekend! I am so grateful that you listened to the spirit and stayed home with Jordon. I am also glad that he is doing better. We love you and please let us know if we can do anything!

3 Docs and A Diva said...

We are so sorry Jordon you have had such a rough go of it on this new medication. Wendy thank heavens you heeded the prompting to stay home be with your sweetheart.
Congratulations on your little sweet nephew. I also had Stephen and Scott early, almost 7 months early and look at them now. We brought them home at 4lb's 14oz and 4lbs 10 oz's and that was back in the olden days before you both were even born:) We pray Jacob does as well as they did with his RDS and gets to be released soon.
We love you so much and are so proud of the way you have handled thsi past almost 8 months of incredible hardships.
Your faith and perserverance have inspired us.
Hugs!

Kim said...

I have to say you two are Amazing. What strength. I am so glad you are leaning on our Father in Heaven for support. He ,alone, has carried through many of lifes challenges. Keep up the positive attitudes. We love you and keep you both in our prayers.