Monday, November 8, 2010

Exciting and Long Awaited News!

After almost three long years, we are finally pleased to share some incredible news with you…. But it will have to wait until the end of the post. I know we haven’t been as diligent in updating our blog as we used to, but life just keeps getting busier and busier. Since I have gone down to one job, it seems like I have even less time than I used to. Couple that with the fact that I have gone on a technology diet since my e-mail and Facebook hacking (less time on facebook, e-mail, etc…). Sometimes it seems like technology drowns out the special or important moments in life. My challenge to all of you faithful readers: Cut out or cut down the technology use in your life. Document how different you feel. 

With that challenge given, time to give you other updates. As some of you faithful readers know, my sweet new niece was in the hospital for several weeks. She has a rare disorder called hyper-insulinism (her pancreas produces waaaaaaay too much insulin). Within the first few weeks of her life, my niece became a cross country traveler, having to go all the way Philadelphia Children’s Hospital. She is doing well now sans 60% of her pancreas. Yes you read that right; my niece now only has 40% of her pancreas and doing great. And she is a gorgeous baby I might add. 

 And now  a Jordon update: Last week Jordon had an MRI and met with the new doctor. It was the weekend of Huntsman. Jordon was up there for chemo on Friday, back again on Monday for the MRI and then back again on Tuesday for the doc appointment. 

We were anxious for the doc appointment because Jordon met with a new doctor, Dr. Coleman, newly transferred from MD Anderson. In all honesty, Jordon only met with Dr. Coleman for about 2 minutes. Prior to meeting with Dr. Coleman, Jordon met with a fellows. He was extremely thorough, asking about all aspects of Jordon’s life and going over the past few MRI scans. He explained that Jordon’s scans looked great. Then he asked how Jordon would feel if he wouldn’t have to do chemo. Jordon said “pretty good, Great!”. Then he left to confer with the other neuro-oncology doctors.  

A few minutes later, several doctor’s came in and Dr. Coleman introduced himself. He also went over the MRI scans and explained that things were unchanged. He went on to show us the areas that used to be of concern. He explained that since it hadn’t changed in almost 2 years, the “spots” are most likely only scar tissue from surgery, radiation, and chemo. And   then he said some of the sweetest, most hopeful words I have heard in a long time. He told Jordon that he could take a break from chemo.  (If you couldn’t tell, that is the exciting news I was referring to at the beginning of the post)!!! That is right! After almost 3 years of straight chemo, Jordon gets a 6 week break. Then Jordon with have another MRI. If that MRI looks good, Jordon will get another 6 week break, and so on. If it keeps up, eventually Jordon will be able to say he is in remission!!!!

It makes me want to cry just thinking about it! When Jordon met with the radiation oncologist (we call him Dr. Dork) 3 years ago, he was very negative and basically told Jordon not to get his hopes up because with the size and type of Jordon’s cancer, it will come back fully in three years. Then we immediately met with the neuro-oncologist (Dr. Glantz) and he basically said that it was up to Jordon what happened.  

Dr. Glantz was right. Here we are almost three years later and Jordon could potentially be in remission. Jordon has never doubted that he would recover. I have never doubted he would recover. We both feel so incredibly blessed and hopeful and owe so much to our loving Father in Heaven. We thank you for your love and support and prayers. We ask for you to continue those prayers. We are so close!!!!! The end of this chapter is in site and onto a new chapter in life!

5 comments:

Candace and Brian said...

That's the best news I have heard in a while. Jordon said he had a break at Cafe Rio but I didn't process everything completely. I'm so excited for you guys. You looked wonderful Saturday night and it was great to just say hi. We will keep you in our prayers!

The Mathesons said...

YAY! That's wonderful news!!! Congrats!!

*Aliese* said...

That is SO wonderful, Wendi! How exciting. What a great blessing for you and your cute family. :)

BECKY said...

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

masonmadness said...

Oh this post brought tears to my eyes! That is WONDERFUL news!!! I'm so happy for you guys. It has been quite the road you two have traveled. But your good attitude has amazed me along the way! We will keep him in our prayers and can't wait for an update in 6 weeks.